Selling Your Crochet

So, I'm doing it. I'm going to have my own booth at a Vintage Market in town and I'm going to attempt to sell some of my homemade crochet items. Recently as I was going through everything that I had I realized, I'm drowning in completed projects! I have them everywhere! They are completed blankets, washcloths, hats, and scarves. I've got them stored away for no real reason except that I just didn't know what to do with them.

Oh, I've given quite a few of my things away to others. I work with a relatively young group of females and they are all in the various stages of getting married and having babies so I have plenty of people to give things away too but i'm just crocheting items faster than I can give them away it seems.

I'm hoping that I will be able to sell at least a few pieces that will allow someone to enjoy my work. It will be my first big go and trying to sell the gifts that I have made so I'm a bit nervous. You always hear the stories about people stating that they could make that item for less or worse, saying that the item is worth the price tag you put on it. We shall see what happens I guess. I'm a firm believer that we should be paid a decent wage for the time and effort that we put into making a handmade piece and I always struggle with the pricing of my items.

My first strategy is the 3 x the cost of materials method and we will see what happens there. I know that there are many things out there that state you should charge what you would like to be paid per hour for the work plus cost of materials but I struggle with figuring out how long it actually took me to crochet a baby blanket when I am constantly interrupted while making it! I might get 5 stitches in and then someone pops in to ask me a question and I'm starting all over in my counting...not really the person purchasing the items fault that it took me so long to make it.

On Friday this week I go to set up my booth at the Vintage Market and will lay all of my items out ready for sale. My fingers are crossed that I get at least few sales in the first month. I've decided to set a goal of $100 for the month. This will give me something to strive for and hopefully not something that is out of reach. I'm also working on making more items that I can use to replace the items that get purchased. I have a small mix of things so we will see what sells best and then I will focus more time and energy on those items instead. Maybe, if I get passed my nerves on this one then I will open a booth at a small town fair!

Comments

Popular Posts